Prenton Park has been Tranmere's home for over 100 years, It became known as Prenton Park in November 1895, but had previously played host to Rovers under the name "Borough Road enclosure'. The ground has had several rebuilds, and since the first grand stand in the late 1890's, it has developed into the magnificent stadium it is today.
A full and comprehensive history of the ground can be read, and seen, in the Tranmere Rovers The Complete Record (2009) book.
Facts & stats
Rebuilt to current state: 1995
Highest attendance: 24,424 vs Stoke City, FA Cup fourth round, 5 February 1972 (pre-rebuild)
Highest attendance in current condition: 16,377, vs Middlesbrough, 7 May 1995
The Bebington Kop - Home fans
Known simply as 'The Kop' to home fans, the most iconic of the home stands can be an incredibly intimidating sight for opposing players when full. It can create a fantastic atmosphere, and with its steep incline it certainly keeps everyone close to the pitch.
The Kop used to be split between home and away fans, with away fans having the entire stand on some occasions during the 1990's. Following the successful cup runs at the turn of the century, it was made a home stand and visiting fans were moved to the Cowsheds. Part of the 1995 reconstruction of the ground, the name TRANMERE ROVERS is emblazoned into the seating.
The Johnny King Stand - Home fans
Renamed to recognise the clubs greatest ever manager, formerly known as the Borough Road stand. This stand is for home fans only and provides some of the best up-close views of the action you will find anywhere in the Football League.
The Cowsheds - away fans only
The Cowsheds was historically the home of the more vocal and passionate home fans, prior to being switched to house away fans at the turn of the century. Some fans still want to see it changed back to a home stand.
The stand is instantly recognisable due to its slanted seating arrangement, caused by the main road (Prenton Road West) running behind it. Since being made into an 'away end', a licensed bar and TV screens have been added in the concourse area.
Capacity: 2,500 approx
Main Stand and Paddocks - Home fans / VIPs / Sponsors
The main stand is the oldest in the ground and still has the old, slightly dated, looked iron work and roof, along with multi-coiloured seats. It is oozes character though and is a throwback to the 1980's with its rustic look. This stand houses VIP area, Directors Box and different suites.
The two areas of modern blue seating in the lower tier are the Bebington and Town Paddocks.
Capacity: Main Stand: 3,598, Bebington Paddock: 1,122 +28 disabled, Town Paddock: 1,209